Monday, July 19, 2010

Displaying a Handgun

A few days ago, my dad had a bad experience trying to return a small dresser with a chip taken out of it. One of my parents made the comment that if I had gone with my dad and been open carrying, then they might not have been so belligerent.

I then went on to have a discussion with my mom about the legalities and wisdom of open-carrying. She would kind of joke about how dad would be talking with the employees while I could just stand back with the gun on my hip, just staying quiet and standing there with my arms folded. And I'm thinking, "Yeah, like Guido, the local La Cosa Nostra Neighborhood Liaison Officer."

So I know she was just joking, but I didn't want to let her get by without getting my point across that what she was talking about was highly illegal. I explained to her that the only time it's ever appropriate to coerce someone with a weapon is when you feel that your life is in danger, not because you're mad because they're trying to bully you into keeping slightly damage furniture.

Would you be willing to give up your right to vote over a small wooden dresser? Because crimes involving deadly weapons result in felony convictions, and Felons lose certain rights for the rest of their lives.

Self defense with a deadly weapon is serious business.

No comments: